Clear. Glowing. Radiant. Healthy.
I don’t believe there is a girl out there who doesn’t want these four things when they think of their dream skin. So how do you achieve skin that’s worthy of ‘your skin is looking ahmazing!’ compliments?
Like most things, my number one secret to achieving heavenly skin starts from within.
1. Daily green juices
I know, most of you are already all over this, but here is what I noticed when I got on the green juice bandwagon:
- Clearer, more even toned, hydrated skin that glowed from within
- Waaaaay more energy. To the point that I cut down my coffee consumption dramatically
- I feel fuller for longer (no more hunger pains between breakfast and lunch)
- Dropped a few kilo’s (seriously!)
- More than a few ‘your skin is looking amazing!’ compliments
AND it tastes amazing!
Here is the Green Smoothie Recipe that I am currently loving:
– Handful of spinach leaves
– Half a carrot
– Celery stalk
– Coconut water
– Chopped pear
– ½ a lemon
2. Supercharge your skincare routine with regular exfoliation
Cleanse, tone, moisturise. Ok, so you are doing this morning and night and your skin is looking good. But you want amazing, radiant and glowing right? Time to take your skincare routine up a notch.
Your skin has a renewal cycle of 30 days. What does this mean exactly? It means that old, dull skin cells are shed and the lower layers of your skin produce new skin cells, which come to the surface. That means NEW SKIN every 30 days! So, it makes sense that when you exfoliate regularly you are speeding up this renewal cycle meaning that fresh, healthy skin cells come to the surface of your skin on a more regular basis.
Now, let’s talk type of exfoliation. There are three types, and I’m going to liken your skin cells to a brick wall to explain. Firstly, Chemical: which dissolves the ‘cement’ between each of your dead skin cells Enzymatic: which dissolves away the dead skin cell itself, and Physical: which is like a bulldozer knocking down your dead skin ‘wall’ entirely.
I’m a fan of products that exfoliate in both a chemically and enzymatically as it is a gentle way of exfoliation. The ‘bulldozer’ way of exfoliating is quite irritating on the skin, plus, the word on the street is that roughly rubbing at your skin causes micro-tears which lead to fine lines … eeeekkk!!
It is important to understand at this point that ‘chemical’ exfoliation does not necessarily mean that you need to put chemicals on your skin. You can exfoliate your skin ‘chemically’ using natural ingredients … kinda weird huh?
Ingredients that exfoliate chemically are Alpha Hydroxy Acids (AHA’s) and Beta Hydroxy acids (BHA’s). AHA’s are your citruses (lemon, orange and mandarin etc). BHA’s are Salicylic acid and Willowbark extract. Great enzymatic exfoliators are Pineapple, Papaya and Pumpkin.
Here’s the deal. Too much stress in our bodies, creates war for the skin. When we are stressed, our bodies release a hormone called cortisol, which tells the oil glands to ramp up production, which clogs pores and leads to breakouts. It also sucks the life out of your skin, leading to dullness and sallowness. Even if you are not particularly stressed at the moment it is good to be aware when our feeling more stressed than normal. I believe in treating the cause of the problem before slapping on a big fat band aid, that is why I suggest first discovering what you can do to minimise the stress in your life before going out and buying a new skin regime. The truth is, there is not much that a whole heaps of new products can do for you if you don’t kick unnecessary stress to the curb.
1. First, figure out what activity de-stresses you, make these activities number one on the priority list, and to do them more often than you normally would.
2. Treat yourself to a clay mask to absorb excess oil out of your pores. Do this 2-3 times per week after you exfoliate for max results.
3. Don’t let your healthy diet slip. If you have fallen into this trap, it’s time to claw your way out of it. Pack salads for lunch, keep up with morning green juice and say ‘no’ to another coffee.
4. Counteract the cortisol with endorphins! Exercise is so easily put to the wayside when stress rears it’s ugly head. And yes, exercise will cause you to sweat, but that’s ok! The sweat that comes from exercise is detoxifying (not pimple making) and the lovely endorphins that are buzzing around your system are giving you that gorgeous glow.
Adding green juices, exfoliating regularly and taking time to chill will collectively work wonders to keep you (and your skin) gorgeous, happy and healthy.
Let me know when you get your first ‘great skin’ complement!
Love Allira xx